Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

public ceremonies should not be taken into account in the churches that I hate


Switching to a better understanding of the Constitution, public ceremonies should not be taken into account in the churches that I hate

Imagine the pride I felt this weekend when I was 16 gave me a copy of your school newspaper high with the first two news stories he wrote for this publication.

Silver Chips is an award-winning student newspaper, and I am happy that my daughter has joined the team. I explained that although the press is not exactly a growing profession nowadays, a person can usually still make a living by writing. Someone should write everything online news after all.

When you look at the paper, a piece on the opinion page caught my attention. "How do I upgrade to a better place," the editorial Americans United for the task to persuade education officials in Montgomery County, Maryland, to stop the exploitation of the graduation of a conservative mega-church in neighboring Prince George County.



Writing that the Superintendent "litigation fears the site could make, and rightfully so, taking into account the threats that interest groups like Americans United for Separation of Church and State did against the county. "

He will say: "But the recent court case law clearly shows that this claim is unfounded A federal judge ruled in May that the Connecticut public schools could not hold graduation in churches where there was no other viable options. Terms of size, cost and location. And in this case, it is clear that alternatives are comparable. "

Evil above shows exactly the opposite. The availability of alternatives is only one aspect of the decision by U.S. District Judge Janet Hall.

Hall also wrote, "After attending the graduation ceremony, a reasonable observer would conclude that April 13, 2010, the Commission's decision to use the cathedral sends the message that the Council adopt the religious values, these symbols and ideas first cathedral. In choosing to hold the graduations of the first cathedral, Enfield schools sends the message that is closely related to the first cathedral and its religious mission, which promotes the religious over non-religious and Christian preferred to those who subscribe to other religions or do not believe at all. "

I should also add that there are many choices available for graduation. It is true that my daughter is one of the largest schools in the county and family members that many present at the opening. I understand the need for a space that can accommodate everyone.

But it is also true that the high population density, roads built in Washington, DC metropolitan area. We have many public facilities, including places many affiliated with universities in the region. No need to celebrate graduation in a mega-church decorated with symbols of a particular faith.

There is another aspect of this situation which has often been neglected, and I would like the wording of the Silver Chips note: The church in question, the city of Jericho Praise, is known for his public activism against homosexuals. However, my daughter's school is very diverse and known for its alliance between gays and heterosexuals assets and the zero tolerance policy for abusers. Each year, students participating in the "Day of Silence" that drives the right crazy religious groups.

Is not this a contradiction? It should not be obvious that homosexual students and their families could disappear from attending a public ceremony in a church that is campaigning against them and try to deny all civil rights?

Hope to see my daughter graduate in 2012. I'm sure I'll be in the public hanging. I am pleased that men and women who run my system of public education to understand why I am not in a fundamentalist church that shares my values.

0 comments:

Post a Comment